Kenibo Ramen in Hannover Review

June 09, 2018
As a rule, noodles is one of my favourite dish to eat. Many culture have their own spin and take on noodles, each with different texture, ingredients, and flavour. Ramen has always been one of my favourite, because to me, a bowl of ramen is as comforting as a cup of hot cocoa.

I make it a point to always try to eat ramen whenever I visit bigger cities. There aren't any ramen place where I live in Germany, discounting instant ramen, which incidentally, I eat regularly as well. The ramen prices in Germany, however, is not exactly cheap, so it has always seem like a fitting splurge when I travel. So when I visit Hannover in Lower Saxony over the weekend, I had to search if there is any ramen place in the city. That's when Google came up with Kenibo Ramen at the heart of Hannover's city centre.

Shoyu Ramen at Kenibo Ramen in Hannover, Germany
I ordered a Shoyu Ramen, a type of ramen with a soy-sauce based broth that is considered to be the most classic type of ramen available. At €7,90, its price tag is quite standard for a ramen restaurant in Europe.

Indeed, ramen is one of the most expensive type of dish that you can order in Europe, its average price being around €9-12 depending on the type of ramen that you order.

Usually I would pay the steep price of a bowl of ramen with a slight groan but a relatively happy stomach. However, this was not one of those instances. This time around, I left with a lighter wallet but my stomach being none of the happier.

I have always regarded broth as ramen's most important element. Sadly, the shoyu broth that I was served lacked a depth of flavour, making it very basic and monotone, with none of richness that I've come to expect from ramen.

I tried to rectify the broth and increased the flavour somewhat by adding soy sauce and chilli oil. However it didn't work.

I had hoped that at least the noodles would be the ramen's saving grace, but alas, it was not. The noodle themselves had a slightly weird texture; as if they were overcooked. In addition, the noodles seemed to have not absorbed any flavour from the broth, however little there was to begin with.

To make things even worse, the charsiu pork (one that was there anyway) was dry and flavourless.

The only positive thing that I can say based on my experience at Kenibo Ramen was that the staff was helpful and friendly. Other than that, based on the ungenerous portion and the less than acceptable flavour of the ramen itself I would not go back to Kenibo Ramen; nor would I recommend anyone to try it either.


xo,
Maria

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.