The Berlin Diaries Week #1

September 15, 2018
I'm moving to Berlin!

Well, for the month of September, that is.

As my final year of my bachelor's study approaches, I need to start thinking seriously about my future, including about where I want to do my master's degree and what I'd want to focus on. This meant that I had to contemplate if moving to a bigger city like Berlin would be a good idea. In the process of deciding that, I wanted to have a trial in living in Berlin, to see if I'd even like living there.

I took a sublet of a room of a friend of a friend's, and this was my first week of the trial.

Having moved shortly after I returned from a vacation was probably wasn't the greatest idea, as I ended up being rather tired at the beginning of the week, but I did manage to scrounge up some energy to do a few things.

Keep up with my adventure in Berlin on my Instagram stories, Berlin Diaries!

1. Schloss Charlottenburg

The largest palace in a modern metropole such as Berlin should make it seem out-of-place, but instead, the Charlottenburg Palace has carved out a part for itself in the capital; offering its residents a reprieve from the hectic city life. Not only has the palace retained its charm and grandeur (through extensive restoration works following the World War II), its garden and running trail along the Spree River provide the perfect locations for relaxation.

As I went to the castle on a weekday nearing the end of the summer holiday season, there wasn't very many tourist about the complex, which is a plus on its own, as you can better appreciate the surrounding.

The entrance to the building in the palace complex required tickets, but the garden itself is publicly accessible.

Charlottenburg Palace
Front view of the Charlottenburg Palace

Charlottenburg Palace Garden
The Garden of Charlottenburg Palace

2. Kurfürstendamm

Take a stroll along Berlin's luxury shopping street and up to the high street. Every brand you could possibly need has a store on Kurfürstendamm, and I don't only mean clothings either. From Cartier and Chanel to Forever 21 and H&M, from Apple to Saturn, Kudamm has got you covered. Bonus : the architecture of the store's buildings are just as interesting as the items on display!


3. Grocery shopping

Not that I don't shop for groceries in Greifswald, but doing so in Berlin was a different experience. I had to get to know my neighbourhood first (meaning looking up 'supermarket' on Google Maps), and bought a few essentials. It is odd to have so many supermarkets and drugstores available to me whilst I can count the amount of supermarket in Greifswald, but the biggest difference so far was my experience at the asian grocery store. In Greifswald there's only one asian grocer, who, while having a comprehensive supply, was also limited in some ways. Here, the variety of instant noodles that is available alone was jarring to me. Suddenly the option was limitless! I get to try out new noodles variety that I've always wanted, and many that I've never heard of. 
I most likely had gone a little mad while buying instant noodles

xo,
Maria

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.