Essence Longlasting Lipstick Review

I was used the searing hot weather, having been living in a country that is located right along the equator. So my skin, although is still considered fair by everyone back home, is still what the europeans consider to be "tanned". Having moved to Germany last winter, I definitely missed the sun. The lack of sunlight made my skin noticeably fairer, but I didn't realise how fair until I was taking photos with my friends during our day trip. To my shock, I looked so pale, my skin looked almost frighteningly translucent. I didn't use to wore lipsticks, or even stains, except to special occasions, because I thought it looked a bit too made up. But ever since the photo incident, I rarely stepped out without one.

I only have one lip product that was somewhat tinted, and that was my MaxFactor Lipfinity. But it was drying up quickly, so I had to look for a new one. I must have went to DM a thousand times and swatched every single lipstick they sold, but nothing really appeals to me (because of the color or finish) until I found Essence's Long-lasting Lipstick in Blush my Lips (No. 12). 

Packaging and Pricing
Essence Long-lasting Lipstick is packaged in a sleek back tube with a color band that matches the lipstick's colour. I honestly think the packaging looks a lot more expensive than Essence's other lipsticks. It certainly look a lot more fancy than it cost, since it retails for €2,25 in DM. I must say, even for a drugstore, the price is fantastic. It's a lot more affordable than any of Maybelline's lipsticks.
Essence Longlasting Lipstick

Blush my Lips Swatch (Left: one swipe, Right: 3 swipes)

Lip Swatch in Blush my Lips

Longlasting Lipstick Line
Claims
The Essence Longlasting Lipstick claims to provide intense colour for several hours without drying your lips. The whole line consists of 16 different shades that ranges from nudes to bright red.

Ingredients
RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, POLYBUTENE, OCTYLDODECANOL, CANDELILLA (EUPHORBIA CERIFERA) WAX, POLYETHYLENE, MICA, PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE), BENZYL ALCOHOL, CI 15850 (RED 7 LAKE), CI 42090 (BLUE 1 LAKE), CI 77491, CI 77492 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE).

Review
As you can see from the swatches, the lipsticks are pigmented. Even with one swipe, you'll be good to go. The color is also pretty true, what you see on the actual stick is what you'll be getting. I have found that the claim of not drying your lips is quite true. It does not feel drying upon first application, but it does get flaky after a few hours. 

Now the big claim-that even made up the name of the whole line, is that they're longlasting. I think they are very clever by saying it will last for "several" hours. Now, this is certainly true. Provided you're not eating or drinking, the lipstick will stay almost perfect for at least a couple of hours. They certainly lasted on my lips for more than 6 hours and still looks fine, provided, once again, that I have not drink or eat after applying it. If you wear it for longer, it will fade so that the color will only remains on your outer lips. However, I have noticed that after a whole day wearing it, there will be some color clinging still on the folds of your inner lips. All in all, without a touch up during the day, it will not look great by the end of the day.

Now, if you are going to eat or drink with this lipstick on, be prepared to have the lipstick on hand, because it will be erased without a trace, with exception of your outer rim. I have read the reviews of this product before purchasing it, but I don't think anyone has ever mention how the lipstick just flakes (literally) off of your lips when you eat. I found that the flakes will cling to my spoon or anything that I'm biting into, which is kind of upsetting.

To be fair, it does not smear around your lips even without using any lipliner. However, if you touch your lips by any means even after hours of the application, it will transfer its color. When I had the flu and had to wipe my nose, my tissue has lipstick stains everywhere. 

I actually really like the lipstick's finish. It's not matte, but it's not shiny either. It definitely does not have any kind of glitter in it, so I would say it's a satin-like finish.

Conclusion
If you're on the hunt of looking for experimenting with different colors and don't want to spend a lot of money, or if you're looking for something for everyday wear that's inexpensive, this lipstick is certainly for you. However, if you don't want to keep reapplying the lipstick every few hours or after every meal, maybe you should opt for something else. But one major thing that I don't think anyone can argue with : for the price, I don't think anything can beat it. 

Rating
3/5

Purchase the product
Nearest DM or Rossmann 


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.