3 Main Reasons Why I Get Homesick

April 21, 2018
Studying in a country quite literally halfway across the world from my own, homesickness can't always be helped. I have no family that lives anywhere in Europe, so save for my friends and acquaintances, I am alone.

I don't really get homesick all that often, mostly because my life here is always busy, and there are just so much to do that I don't really get the chance to mope and be homesick. But there are some triggers -for lack of a better word, that could get me homesick in an instant.

Gunung Pangrango, Gedung Gede
A view of Pangrango and Gede Mountain from a village in Sukabumi, West Java


Here are 3 of the main ones :

1. When I watch a movie or video that features Indonesia
Being reminded of how beautiful my country can really tugs on my heartstrings. Sometimes I even tear up! Indonesia is a country rich with natural beauty, and even its busy metropole has a familiarity of its own that I miss.

2. When I miss eating Indonesian food
Sure, I can probably try to replicate a few dishes, but spices are hard to come by in Germany, especially as I live in a small town which only has one asian grocer. Indonesian food are varied, but they are all delicious. My mouth would water quite easily when I am reminded of my favourite dishes (all kinds of noodles, if you would like to know), especially when I'm in no mood for cooking.

3. When I feel like life would be easier in Indonesia
Don't get me wrong, I love my life in Germany. But sometimes I can't help but feeling that my life would be somewhat easier in Indonesia. When I don't feel like walking or biking, being able to hop in a car and drive isn't really an option whilst I'm in Germany. I don't have a car, and I haven't gotten around to make an international driving license. When I miss my friends and family back home, the best that I can do is Facetiming them, and that's not even close to being enough. And when I don't understand something in german, I would sometimes think that such thing would never happened if I'm back home.

All that being said, I wouldn't trade the last three years I have spent in Germany for anything. There are a lot of things that are made possible through the change of my country of residence. The most evident one being the experiences I had along the way; traveling to different countries and making new friends are just a few of the perks that I've had. But sometimes, there's nowhere that feels like home than home itself.

xo,
Maria

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.