The Berlin Diaries Week #2

October 27, 2018
My first week in Berlin was about learning my way around, but after getting somewhat used to the city, I was eager to explore more of Berlin, especially its history. So in my second week, I toured a few museums and monuments that would give me a better insight to the city's history.

1. Deutsches Technikmuseum & Depot für Kommunalverkehr (German Technology Museum)

Old Berlin Buses on the Depot für Kommunalverkehr Exhibit at the German Technology Museum
Old Berlin Buses on the Depot für Kommunalverkehr Exhibit

Whilst riding on a bus, I read about an open house event for the Depot für Kommunalverkehr (Local Transport's Depot) at the Deutsches Technikmuseum (German Technology Museum). The Depot, a big warehouse located off-site to the museum's main building, houses old local transportation vehicles such as buses, S-Bahn carriages, and even traffic signs. It is a rare opportunity to be able to visit the Depot, as it is not in the museum's permanent exhibit and is normally only open on Sundays in September.

I was perfectly giddy as I walked through the many styles of Berlin buses and carriages over the years. Not only were they in perfect condition, but visitors were able to climb in to some of the vehicles and hear more about their histories.

After touring the Depot, I climbed aboard an old train that only runs on a track between the Depot and the museum to see the rest of the museum's exhibit.

Camera Photography Exhibit Deutsches Technikmuseum German Technology Museum
Old Cameras at the German Technology Museum Photography Exhibit 

The German Technology Museum houses a multitude of inventions. From trains to airplanes and ships, suitcases to jewellery, cameras to phones, and even paper to garments, the museum has it all. The exhibit was vast and well organised, with many opportunity for on hand experiences and stunning display. I have been to few museums in the past, but I have an inkling that the German Technology Museum may be my new favourite.

2. Tränenpalast (Palace of Tears)

The Tränenpalast at the Berlin Friedrichstraße station marks a famous checkpoint on the Berlin Wall. A gateway between the divided East and West, it has certainly witnessed plenty of falling tears as families and lovers separated. It not only exhibits the various paraphernalia of the checkpoint, but also testimonies of those who fled the East in hope of a better life in the West.


Palace of Tears Berlin Border Crossing
Border Crossing of the Friedrichstraße Station at the Tränenpalast

3. The Berlin Wall

After almost 4 years living in Germany, I finally visited the infamous Berlin Wall. The symbol of division across Germany for almost 30 years, the Berlin Wall stood half destroyed across parts of Berlin. The Berlin Wall Memorial, which started with the Berlin Nordbahnhof station, continues down the Bernauerstraße, exhibiting various parts of the Wall history. Visitors can visit the Dokumentationszentrum (Documentation Centre) for a more in depth history of the Wall's construction up to its destruction.

The Berlin Wall
The Berlin Wall


4. Alexanderplatz

The Alexanderplatz is home to one of Berlin's biggest shopping centre, and Berlin's tallest building, the Fernsehturm (Television Tower). The Fernsehturm is a major landmark in Berlin, viewable from various points all over the city. The Alexanderplatz also hosts various events throughout the year, such as the Oktoberfest and the Christmas Market.


Alongside the Fernsehturm, other landmarks around the Alexanderplatz includes the Berlin Rotes Rathaus (Red Town Hall), Nikolaikirche, and the Neptunebrunnen (Neptune Fountain).

Whenever I'm in Berlin, I almost always visited the Alexanderplatz, mainly because I wanted to go shopping at Primark. Other than that, Alexanderplatz is also a strategic hub, as it is the Berlin's City Centre Station for long-distance bus service Flixbus.

5. Waiting for buses

I learned quickly that most of my time spent in Berlin is likely going to be spent on transportation. And while Berlin has one of the most comprehensive public transport system I've ever seen, it is a big city, so it still takes me at least half an hour to get anywhere. German public transport are normally punctual and reliable, but like any other big city, Berlin can also fall victim to traffic jams. When you have to make 3 or more connections, even a minute delay can costs you more time waiting for the next connection.

On my way to the Depot für Kommunalverkehr, I missed the connecting bus and had to wait for another 30 minutes. I then decided to walk to the next stop just to kill time, which turns to be a blessing in disguise - I found a lovely spot I wouldn't otherwise see, like the Wasserfall Viktoriapark.

Waterfall at the Viktoriapark Berlin
Wasserfall Viktoriapark


I learned a lot about Berlin on my second week, but I know there is so much more to learn and see. So far I've only visited the places many tourists would want to see, but I also wanted to experience a little bit more of what Berlin has to offer if I live there. Stay tune for my next post :)


xo,
Maria

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.