Things I Don't Get (but Admire) about Fashion Bloggers

February 10, 2018
New York Fashion Week is starting, and if you love fashion, you know what that means : models strutting around the catwalk with designers' newest pieces with fashion A-Listers sitting in the front row snapping the looks, and bloggers posting fresh-off-the-runway pieces all over instagram with #NYFW as their captions.

If you are on instagram, then you must know that fashion bloggers are by far and wide one of instagram elites; putting out instagram-worthy (and envy inducing) photographs daily, if not multiple times a day. Am I the only one who ever wondered how they do it all? It baffles me that their stock of picture-perfect outfits seem to be a mile long, with only more on the way. 

Sure, there are a lot of people who posts daily on instagram, but for normal (and I use this term very liberally) people, a filter or two may suffice for their photos. Not for bloggers, though. Their photos are always perfectly edited, their theme curated, and their outfit wrinkle-free.

Instagram is a platform where people post their highlights of the day, so of course perfect smiles are always going to be in favour of teary eyes. It seems to me that instagram's most basic function is no longer to share photos, but to induce envy and aspire #goals to society at large. By no means am I bashing instagram, I personally love it. But here's a list of things that I don't get (but admire) about fashion bloggers.

Disclaimer : I do not own or take credit from the following instagram posts. Each are embed from the original poster's page. I genuinely admire each of the bloggers in this post and are inspired by them.

Their photo editing skill
It never fails to baffle me how each photo are perfectly edited so that the colours pop and they are shown in the best light. Whenever I try to do the same, my photos look like it's been done by someone who has got no idea what they're doing (which I am). Even using the same filter as them doesn't help much. I think it really does come to taste and having a good eye for the perfect colouring, and maybe I'm just not artistic enough. Where did they take courses, and do I sign up?


Inappropriately dressing for the weather
While thick winter coats may not be the most fashionable item there is, I often wonder at some fashion blogger's outfit choices in the winter months. With exception to those who lives in the tropics, I don't understand why they won't dress appropriately to the weather. Surely the masses needs cute clothing options that's also practical? With models and campaigns it makes sense, since they have to shoot ahead of the season. But bloggers are supposed to showcase their day-to-day wears, so why not dress for the weather? I love Victoria from @inthefrow, but in this picture she's wearing a short sleeveless dress with snow visible in the background. Is it photoshop? Or does she simply have a very high tolerance towards the cold? I simply do not understand. But I admire that anyone can take a picture in the situation and not look like they're freezing to death.

The amount of clothes they (seem to) have
While mix and match is everyone's way of life, fashion bloggers seems to have a thousand different outfits tailored to each and every occasion that may arise. Some clothes may be lent by the designers or fashion houses, but bloggers seem to buy a fair amount on their own. It is rare to see them wear the same items multiple times, and definitely not when they're photographed wearing them; no matter how many times they say that they're "wearing it loads", bar maybe accessories. Me, I consider it a luxury if I'm able to buy a couple of clothing items in a month from the sale section of H&M that will cost me less than €10 each.

Taking pictures in a public place for a long period of time
I greatly admire the dedication and self-confidence that fashion bloggers have to produce the best pictures. The saying goes, "the world is your runway", well, for fashion bloggers it is both their runway and their photo studio. It is not easy to stand in the world's most popular spaces and take 100+ pictures and ignore the looks people will give you. Even taking more than the first five will earn you annoyed glances if there are people waiting. Tamara from The Glam and Glitter showed the behind the scene footage of this picture's shoot on the Vlogmas, and it took her and her professional photographer more than half an hour to get the picture she's happy with. The side of the street with a bus stop in London can't be the quietest place available, but they're not too concerned with it, and I really admire that.

Fashion blogging takes more than just an eye and passion for fashion. It is also work for those who do it full time. No matter how shallow or easy people think it is, to produce great content consistently one must have dedication. I may not understand why or how these bloggers do the thing I've listed above, but I guess there must be a method in their madness, since they are thriving in this new industry.

Bloggers featured:
Anastasia Siantar : @anazsiantar
Victoria : @inthefrow
Jean Wang : @jeanwang
Tamara Kalinic : @tamara

xo
Maria

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.